Build error (possible missing dependency: libxext?)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jul 26 12:11:35 UTC 2010

On 26.07.10 12:36:14, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 04:01, Tycho Andersen <tycho at tycho.ws> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm getting a build error with amarok git. The error is the following:
> >
> > [ 10%] Building CXX object
> > src/CMakeFiles/amaroklib.dir/playlist/view/tooltips/KToolTip.o
> > /home/tycho/packages/amarok/src/playlist/view/tooltips/KToolTip.cpp:32:36:
> > error: X11/extensions/shape.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > Is a problem with my setup, or a hidden dependency that cmake doesn't
> > yet know about? The header in question is provided by the libxext-dev
> > package on Debian based distros.
>
> That dependency has been there since ever, it should be installed if
> you install the basic development tools, necessary to build Amarok, at
> least it does in Kubuntu.

The fact that xext is a pretty common library these days doesn't mean that
amarok doesn't have to check for it. However you're lucky, all you need to
do is check (in this particular case) for the X11_Xshape_INCLUDE_PATH as
find_package(X11) is already done when finding Qt4. But checking the
include path is not empty is really something that amarok needs to do if it
wants to use the header, especially since X11 comes in separated split
packages these days (and my kdelibs-dev, qt4-dev etc. don't even depend on
any X11-dev packages, because they don't expose X11 API themselves).

Andreas

--
You're at the end of the road again.