Many thanks for Amarok !

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 22 14:28:37 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Mark Kretschmann at 22/01/10 11:27 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>>> Good news is, a new backend is being worked on. Phonon-VLC will fix
>>> all problems, and cure world hunger.
>>
>> Yeah I'm interested in this one. While I still thing that gstreamer is a
>> better "fit" from a technology perspective, I really like VLC generally.
>> Do you know if it's going to be kept in tree at kdesupport any time
>> soon?
>
> For now, we are hacking on this in Git clones (VLC is using Git, and
> their repo is the current official location of the backend). Martin
> Sandsmark (Phonon maintainer) wanted to upload this to
> http://gitorious.org/phonon, so that all interested KDE programmers
> could help with this a bit. But it seems he hasn't done this yet, so
> I'm CC'ing him.

Cool, I'll maybe prod Martin about a git migration sooner rather than
later. I've been using git svn for my work for the last four months or
so to good effect so am all for an official git migration. I guess the
process isn't entirely trivial, but I'm happy to help out where I can.
I'll let Martin know.

> About GStreamer: We do not plan to maintain any other Phonon backends
> any more, once the VLC backend is finished. The work needed for
> maintaining them is not justifiable, when we can as well have one
> backend (VLC) that works on all platforms. It seems like the perfect
> solution to us.

Yeah I agree on this one. I think any theoretical "best fit" can be
easily beaten by a practical "works best" :p

> So, if you want to maintain other backends, you would have to do that
> on your own.

I'm not really super keen to maintain gstreamer b/e no (and certainly
not the xine one!). My main concern would be related to how upstream Qt
want to work with it, and whether or not they will still maintain Phonon
or if it will effectively become a KDE fork. This is getting off topic
now so I'll shut up :)

>> I'd like to make sure I add the necessary glue for PA support
>> (which with an unreleased patch I have is now pretty minimal - just a
>> couple checks at the beginning of the backend loading and that's all)
>> but as the headers are private, it needs to be in-tree for that to work.
>
> Well, good PA support would be nice, so you would be very welcome to
> help with it :)

Indeed. And there is always the Multimedia sprint coming up so if I
don't get around to it before hand, it would be a good opportunity to
crack on with things then.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie