Many thanks for Amarok !

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 22 10:53:38 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Mark Kretschmann at 22/01/10 08:37 did gyre and gimble:
> 2010/1/22 Nicolas Lécureuil <nlecureuil at mandriva.com>:

>>> My version of 2.2.2 has a EQ.  Look under Setting for a EQ that is
>>> selector of type of music Bass, Live, and more.
>>
>> But only works with xine backend iirc.
>
> Well, xine is the only backend you should use anyway. All others are
> (even more) buggy.

Over at Mandriva we've been working hard to get the gstreamer backend
into good shape - lots of fixes have been committed upstream in the last
year or so (I even committed a few over the last few days). As we ship
PA by default (cue rants etc. :p) and xine's PA support is rubbish,
gstreamer is a better choice. I also believe that some embedded
platforms are using gstreamer too (N900?) which is not directly related
to Amarok but.... :)

> Good news is, a new backend is being worked on. Phonon-VLC will fix
> all problems, and cure world hunger.

Yeah I'm interested in this one. While I still thing that gstreamer is a
better "fit" from a technology perspective, I really like VLC generally.
Do you know if it's going to be kept in tree at kdesupport any time
soon? I'd like to make sure I add the necessary glue for PA support
(which with an unreleased patch I have is now pretty minimal - just a
couple checks at the beginning of the backend loading and that's all)
but as the headers are private, it needs to be in-tree for that to work.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie