Amarok Bug

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Jan 15 06:45:21 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 10:28 PM, fester at rucls.net wrote:

> I just loaded Amarok, and while it would appear to be playing things,
> it would generate no sound.
>
> I found the fix in the Ubuntu forums: sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg
>
> You shouldn't have to go the Ubuntu forums to make Amarok work.

I'm not sure what you want us to do.

Being a U.S.-based company, Canonical doesn't ship Ubuntu with code that
possibly infringes upon patents. You have to install those packages
manually yourself.

This means if you want MP3 support, it's up to you to get it. (If your
files were in Ogg Vorbis or FLAC, it wouldn't have worked for you right
away.)

This is a distribution policy and completely out of our control. If you
don't like their policies, you can try switching distros.

--Jeff