FOSDEM 2010: making the Equalizer a dock widget?

Ben K benkloester at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:08:00 UTC 2010

Rather than using sliders, why not use dials to adjust EQ? This achieves a
few good things:

   1. Reduces the screen real estate needed to display the graphic equalizer
   2. Greatly increases the sensitivity and accuracy of the equalizer
   control (since we can click and hold, then move the mouse off the dial and
   still adjust, the effective length of the circular 'slider' represented by
   the dial is pi x distance to nearest screen edge squared!)
   3. Let's us build an EQ that looks more like a professional mixing board
   than a software EQ, which arguably is cool.