FOSDEM 2010: making the Equalizer a dock widget?

Filippo Paparella ironpipp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:05:34 UTC 2010

Here I am: the boy who roused the discussion.
Well, just to elucidate the use case: I often change the output device
(es headphones, hi-fi, ...) which needs to be equalized.
This can be obtained only with a "general" equalizer easy to reach. I
have always thought that "equalization" has the same importance as
"volume".
Coming from the (really pleased) Winamp experience I have to mention
its usability: a light widget with "drawing-move" capability to which
is given a BIG importance in terms of UI space.
Very often could also exist the need of a per-track equalization
(Thomas, I fully agree with you!).
Summing up, my opinion for the best solution:
- a docking-widget solution (eventually not shown and/or docked by default)
- no common sliders but with a custom one-drawing-move approach
- some (not thousand!) presets and the possibility to load/save
- the possibility (through a dropdown list?) to set the equalization
globally or per-track (in this case the info would be saved in the
file).
- In case of global equalization the possibility to cycle through "USE
ONLY GLOBAL EQ" - "IF PRESENT USE ONLY PER-TRACK EQ" - "SUM GLOBAL AND
PER-TRACK EQs"

--
Filippo Paparella