Amarok's tag editor is confusing the hell out of me

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Fri Aug 27 09:57:22 UTC 2010

On 08/27/2010 11:59 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Nikos,

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:27, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc at arcor.de>  wrote:
>> I've stumbled across a confusing (as well as annoying) thing in Amarok.
>>   Not sure if it's a "feature"...
>>
>> When I right click on a track in the collection browser and select "Edit
>> track details", it shows me the MP3 tags of that track.  When I right
>> click on *the same* track in the file browser instead (after navigating
>> to the directory that contains it), it displays a different value for
>> "Artist."  In other words, Amarok is outright lying to me:
>>
>>    http://i34.tinypic.com/2igf8fb.png
>
> There are caching problems with the Collection Browser, do a rescan,
> then close and restart should solve that issue

Thanks.  That fixed it.

>> Another weird behavior that seems related is that Amarok sometimes makes
>> random decisions (at least they appear to be random) as to what to put
>> in the "Various Artists" category and what not.
>
> Could you be a tad more specific? "Sometimes" and "random" is not
> really something we can work with

Well, I have albums from a specific artist, say "Foo".  There are a few
bonus tracks in the second disc of the album that were done by Foo as
well as Bar and Baz, so the artist field says "Foo & Bar", "Foo & Baz",
etc.  Amarok decides to put disc 1 in the normal place, but disc in the
Various Artists section, which is silly (because the whole album is by
the specific artist, it's not a VA compilation.)

Then again, sometimes it doesn't, which is the "random" part :)