Your opinion: web-aware plasmoids should only download if they are visible

Frank Steinmetzger Warp_7 at gmx.de
Wed Apr 7 13:59:33 UTC 2010

Hi people

before I file this and make it about my opinion alone, I would like to know
what you think about it:

Context plasmoids such as the one for Wikipedia or similar artists should, in
my opinion, only download new content if they are actually visible. At first
sight this might be just another case of „I want Amarok 1 behavior back“, so
let me explain:

for space reasons, I put the collection browser and context area into tabs, so
only one of them is visible at a time. (Another case: both are visible, but
there are more plasmoids active than fit into the context area).
I don’t use the Wikipedia feature that often, but I do from time to time, the
same goes for similar artists and other plasmoids. Only the "Albums by
<artist>" plasmoid I use quite regularly, because mostly I have a dynamic
random playlist running and when I wanna hear more of the currently running
artist, that’s the way to go.

By principle, I don’t really like the idea that those web-aware plasmoids are
making request for every track I play, no matter if I want to see the result
or not. It’s one part privacy paranoia and one part my bad connection. If I
download something and other requests are made in parallel, this thing has a
tendency towards disconnecting or at least having a hangover for a minute or
two.

So, waddaya think?
Cheers.

My version is current GIT (just pulled a few minutes ago).
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Hard drives have two known states: new and full.