[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Preliminary UPnP support proposal

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Apr 6 21:41:50 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 14:42:03 Tuomo Penttinen wrote:
> I agree. The UPnP discovery protocol is lightweight enough that I wouldn't
> worry about it in most environments.

Actually I like numbers. :-)

My worry lies in the fact that we're going for the full game of having it in
libsolid, which means that such a discovery will be triggered by any apps
which starts and ask for a StorageAccess (which means at least anything which
spawns a file dialog).

> In my opinion, even the description
> phase doesn't add that much of network load that I'd want to pay the price
> of added complexity, which the inter-process caching solution introduces.

Fair enough, let's avoid premature optimization. And it's all buried in the
backend anyway so it's not like we're going to break BC later on if we
introduce complexity for the optimizations.

> By the way, if any of you have ideas or feature requests for HUPnP, or
> feedback in general, this is a good chance to influence the development
> before the API & ABI is locked for the first major release. I'd appreciate
> your comments.

Friedrich is working on the UPnP backend, currently it is based on Coherence
but I seem to remember he wasn't necessarily willing to keep it that way. So I
guess he'll be interested in taking a look at HUPnP...

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net