Amarok 2 scripting license requirements

Myriam Schweingruber myriam.schweingruber at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 19:43:46 UTC 2009

Hi Harley,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 20:51, Harley Laue <losinggeneration at gmail.com> wrote:
> On, http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/Scripting_HowTo_2.0 it's indicated
> that because of Qt 4.4's GPL requirement for derived projects that the script
> must also be GPL. This, as many of you know, has changed in Qt 4.5 which
> allows LGPL. Should that bottom legal portion be changed now? At the very
> least, if it's decided that because Amarok is GPL, and that scripts are
> derived work, that they must be GPL too. It should be expressed that because
> as such, and not because of Qt's license requirements.

First of all, IANAL, but consider the following points:

* Amarok still depends on KDE 4.2, hence Qt 4.4
* the LGPL allows using Qt in proprietary surroundings
* Amarok is GPL and the scripts will run in the same instance as
Amarok does, in a GPL surrounding.

So, since we use those scripts in a GPL surrounding, those should also be GPL.

Again, there might be other legal subtleties I can't answer, as I am
not a lawyer.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org