taglib-extras 0.1.7 vs. taglib 1.6

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:56:12 UTC 2009

Jeff wrote:

> > I'm somewhat surprised that the fresh taglib-extras 0.1.7 release
> > continues to ship the file format support that has entered taglib 1.6.
>
> What you mean to say is that Taglib-Extras 0.1.7 released four days
> before TagLib 1.6.

Well, I could have written TagLib 1.6rc1, which is more than a week older
and was a publicly announced release, too. ;)

> > The same header file names
>
> (but different location)

That doesn't help much. The file locations won't conflict, but
other than that, e.g. Amarok includes headers from both taglib
and taglib-extras with a modified search path for headers and
without an explicit taglib/ or taglib-extras/ prefix. First directory
in search path would win.

> > , the same TagLib namespace, the same
> > signatures.
>
> Only if you compile in the MP4 and ASF support in TagLib (disabled by
> default).

Correct. WAV is part of TagLib 1.6 now, too. WAV is the RIFF container
format and hence in the "riff" directory.

I've asked about the optional MP4 and ASF support on taglib-devel.
You've replied to that thread as well, btw.
Not building with MP4/ASF support would mean, that none of the
many taglib API users could use the support and would need to
add taglib-extras usage instead. Would be kind of unfortunate,
don't you think?