Collection Management And Same Named Albums

Stuart Neill stuart.neill at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 6 16:40:19 UTC 2009

Yesterday, I spotted an album lurking in "Various Artists" which appeared to
have lost most of its metadata. Looking at it in Easytag everything looked OK
but I made a change anyway so that Amarok would rescan the album. It did
rescan but without any change.

So I tried to edit within Amarok (2.1.80 on openSuse). Edit Track Details at
the album level just faded into the ether but I could edit individual tracks.
Several attempts at this got me close to having all tracks listed under the
correct Artist/Album combination but it was an uphill battle and in the
process some strange things were happening. In particular, I noticed that two
tracks were showing an album cover of the same name but by a different Artist.

Once I changed the name of the Album slightly, Amarok behaved exactly as
expected.

These are Flac files with Vorbis metadata tags.

I'm thinking that Collection Management logic might be a little "frayed around
the edges" with regard to Albums of the same name and wondered if any other
users have experienced anything similar.

--
Stuart Neill