Feedback on Amarok 2.1.1

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 6 13:02:09 UTC 2009

Hello

I don't know if this kind of feedback is useful for the developers of
Amarok, so in the hope that it is ...

Amarok 2.1.1 using KDE 4.2.4 on an up-to-date Debian testing ("Squeeze")
i386 system:

(i) once I got used to it, the lay-out is probably better than the 1.4
version I had grown to love.  I must say though, there is an
intuitiveness about 1.4 that is now lost - specifically whether the
playback should be randomised or not, etc. which in 1.4 was easily
accessible via a click in the PL window, rather than via the menu in 2.1.1
(ii) fetching album cover art is still borked in 2.1.1 presumably due to
Amazon changing its API.  Wouldn't it be better if the user could elect
which source s/he wants to use for album cover art rather than tying it
all to Amazon and their corporate whims?  Also, the album cover art
isn't even applied to all tracks from the same album, but I haven't been
able to discern any pattern to this yet.  If I do, I'll come back on this.
(iii) I really miss the simplicity of the old (i.e. 1.4) PL window - it
was easy to append tracks to playlists, whereas with 2.1.1 what tends to
happen is the track is automatically selected just when one clicks on
it, and it is difficult to append a bunch of albums or multiple tracks.
(iv) tag editing (part 1) - this is not very good:  again the old (1.4)
allowed one to edit tracks on the fly in a spreadsheet/ column + row
interface.  Now, editing track info locks the whole interface up for the
duration of the edits to be written.  Very frustrating.
(v) tag editing (part 2) - when editing the tag, it would speed things
up a whole lot if the drop down menus actually enabled auto-completion
(or whatever it is called) - i.e. when the text being entered into the
relevant section offers some suggested completions.  For example, typing
Pink Floyd into the artist tag should bring up the auto-completed option
of Pink -Fairies or -Floyd, etc.  Ditto the album title, genre, etc.
(vi) finally, how does one get that really small (collapsed?) interface
that one could get in 1.4 where all one saw was the scrolling titles,
and the necessary buttons, reduced to a miniaturised interface?

Hope this helps in terms of user feedback.  I only suggest it because
Amarok has really got to be my favourite audioplayer and I know that
sorting out the above would certainly enhance my user experience.

Thanks

AG