I need *your* benchmarking help!

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sun Oct 25 22:15:11 UTC 2009

Simon Bühler wrote:
> ok with the instructions i was able to build jeffs branch, here are my
> findings:
>
> i timed the time from button pressed until the progressbar starts at 0% (where
> in master the sql output begins) and the time needed to complete to 100%.
>
> master:
> Collection has 20896 tracks
>
> phase 1: 2:34 minutes
> phase2: 13:03 minutes
>
> ther were a lot of
>
>  [ERROR!] GREPME MySQL query failed! Duplicate entry 'Wayne wonder' for key 2
> on  "INSERT INTO artists_temp( name ) VALUES ('Wayne wonder');"
> [ERROR!] GREPME MySQL query failed! Duplicate entry 'A Little Deeper-94' for
> key 2  on  "INSERT INTO albums_temp( artist, name ) VALUES ( 94, 'A Little
> Deeper');"

Yep -- this is in fact something that the new branch should fix since it
updates the database to be case-sensitive on the backend. You're
probably seeing these errors because you have the same artist or album
names with different capitalization.

> errors.
>
> jeffs branch:
>
> i got this at startup:

<snip>

You can ignore those errors, it was just trying to drop tables that you
didn't have, which is okay.

> the times:
> Collection has 20891 tracks
> phase 1: 25 sec
> phase 2: 13:36 min
>

> so jeffs version finds 5 tracks less and needs ~14mins, master 15:30mins

Interesting. Can you figure out which one is correct, i.e. were you
getting extraneous tracks before or missing five now?

> maybe this is caused by the longstanding "slow disk access under heavy load on
> amd64 systems" bug i'm still experencing to some extends

What bug is that?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff