Getting started developing

Justin Brown justin.brown1.1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 19:28:58 UTC 2009

Hello,

So I've been using Amarok for a couple years now, and I really want to start
doing some development. The problem is that I don't really know where to
begin. I have a decent amount of C++ experience from school, and I've done
some PyQT programming on my own, so I feel like I should have the skills to
make some contributions. I just don't understand how to do it. I managed to
use git clone to get a copy of the source code, but it's really
overwhelming. I don't know where to begin. I seem to remember Lydia posting
on a blog about junior jobs, but I'm not sure what the status of those jobs
are. Does anyone have a recommendation on a smallish piece of code that
needs work? My idea would be to get a fairly small piece (maybe 5-6 files)
and study it for a few days, then try to make some minor tweaks to it.
I'm also not really sure how to use git/gitorious. I signed up for an
account and added a ssh key. How do I go about making commits? Should I be
asking these questions somewhere else?

Thanks for the replies.
Justin Brown
justin.brown1.1 at gmail.com