amarok doesn't see all the audio files on my Sansa E260 (includes a patch)

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Mon Oct 12 17:11:40 UTC 2009

Aran Cox wrote:
> I used strace to see what files gst-typefind is opening and it doesn't
> look like it opens any of the files in /usr/share/mime/ . x-id3
> doesn't seem to be defined in any of those files anyway, so it's
> possible gst-typefind is using it's own database of mimetypes and
> isn't a good test at all.

yep  :-(

> audio/x-flac is defined in the freedesktop.org.xml file, but only as a
> wildcard.

Err...

  <mime-type type="audio/x-flac">
    <comment>FLAC audio</comment>
    <comment xml:lang="en_GB">FLAC audio</comment>
    <glob pattern="*.flac"/>
  </mime-type>

(translations chopped out)

That's top-level, not a wildcard. What version of shared-mime-info?

I looked at a flac in a hex-editor and it starts with a
> magic string, just like an ogg so I wonder why it isn't defined like
> x-ogg is.

?/x-ogg is only an alias, with varying ?s.

I still think it's either something with your files, or with your
shared-mime-info version.

--Jeff