amarok doesn't see all the audio files on my Sansa E260 (includes a patch)

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Oct 10 14:27:38 UTC 2009

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 10/10/09 11:02 did gyre and gimble:
>> This sounds like an issue i came across a couple years ago
>
> s/a couple years/about a year/

Yeah, another fricking shared-mime-info issue.

The problem is that the shared-mime-info database returns very specific
(and AFAICT not actually defined in any official specs) mime strings,
which it then defines as sub-types of more legitimate mime types.

So in this case audio/x-vorbis+ogg is deifed as a subtype of audio/ogg,
which itself is defined as a subtype of application/ogg -- which is
arguably what it should actually be returning in the first place.

If you look at the KMimeType docs, under ::is(), you see:

"Do not use name()=="somename" anymore, to check for a given mimetype"

Unfortunately, the code is doing just that.

I should mention that some of the types in that list should probably
still be updated. For instance, it uses application/x-ogg, which is
defined as an alias for application/ogg, so might as well just use
application/ogg. And the parent levels should always be what are in that
list, so that checking using ::is(), which takes into account
inheritance, should work.

Anyways, I've committed some changes in fd111a2. Please let me know if
this helps.

Thanks,
Jeff