Testing Request for KDE+PulseAudio users

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Tue Oct 6 11:25:54 UTC 2009

Hello Colin

On Sunday 04 October 2009, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> As many of you know, the KDE integration with PulseAudio is severely
> lacking right now. As PulseAudio adoption is now more or less across the
> board and as companies like Intel, Palm and (most interestingly) Nokia
> are currently heavily investing in PA (see Jyri's slides from the LPC
> conference (http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/program/) last week for
> example), the lack of integration in KDE is obviously something that
> needs addressed.

Considering of how litte use pulseaudio is, it mostly just seems like a waste
of time. I mean how many people actually use networked audio? To point out the
absurdity; HTTP-proxies are not working in KDE4, and they are needed by a lot
more people than network-transparent audio.

> Take care and please only post constructive criticism :)

Okay, I will try to be constructive: Most issues with pulseaudio can be easily
solved by simply uninstalling pulseaudio.

You sound like you care, so please explain: Why are you using pulseaudio? Do
you really have a classic networked X11/audio setup and need network-
transparent audio?

When we got rid  of aRts, one of the things we considered was how to solve the
need for networked audio after aRts was gone, but we quickly realized that no-
one was actually using networked audio. So why is pulseaudio being pushed by
so many people?

It really seems to like somekind of mistake, perhaps strengthed by various
broken alsa setups where a sound-daemon appears to solve the problem. Helping
people configure ALSA correctly would probably be a lot easier than supporting
an extra layer of abstraction (and source of bugs) that no one needs.

`Allan