Testing Request for KDE+PulseAudio users

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 5 12:11:34 UTC 2009

'Twas brillig, and Mark Kretschmann at 05/10/09 10:12 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Elliot Pahl <elliot.pahl at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I might be able to help test amarok with pulseaudio, last I checked amarok
>> doesn't work very well for me with pulseaudio and has all sorts of weird
>> stuttering at home with my m-audio revolution 7.1.
>
> I can confirm the stuttering problems here, it's very annoying.
> PulseAudio has given me nothing but trouble so far, sad but true :)

The main problem relating to PA support on Phonon (in my experience) has
been the xine-pulse layer which it's author admits is sorely lacking. As
most people prefer the Xine engine, we have a fairly weak link in the
chain for the most common setup.

When using gstreamer engine, the PulseAudio backend is pretty smooth but
obviously the gstreamer backend is also rather unloved and highlights
different bugs etc. In Mandriva we've been working to improve the
gstreamer engine and I hope that it will ultimately become the defacto
engine in use (it was the one Qt originally picked but it didn't seem to
gain much traction). It should be pretty well suited to adding recording
support too, which neither xine nor gstreamer currently support. Anyway
I don't want to digress too much :)

> (Can't help with testing though, sorry. Too busy right now.)

No worries I'm sure some other folks will :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie