MySQL library initialization failed (on "init")

Thomas Klausner wiz at NetBSD.org
Sat Oct 3 10:40:19 UTC 2009

Hi!

I'm trying to get a working package for amarok-2.2.0 for NetBSD
pkgsrc.

There was no mysql-embedded package available when I started porting
it, so I made one myself, based on mysql-5.1.36.
	http://pkgsrc.se/wip/mysql5-embedded
You can see the flags I'm using here:
	http://cvsweb.se.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/bsdweb.cgi/wip/mysql5-embedded/Makefile?rev=1.5;content-type=text%2Fplain
to wit:
--with-embedded-server
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static
--with-pic
--without-bench
--without-docs
--without-extra-tools
--without-libedit
--without-libwrap
--without-man
--without-server
--without-ssl

Additionally, I also added -fPIC -DPIC to the CFLAGS to get a
relocatable binary (--with-pic wasn't enough).

I tell amarok to use the libraries created this way (both libmysqld.a
and libmysqlclient.la).

amarok compiles and packages fine, package is at
	http://pkgsrc.se/wip/amarok
if you want to check something.

When I start amarok with --debug, I see in the log:

amarok:             [CollectionManager] Initialising sqlcollection
amarok:             BEGIN: ScanManager::ScanManager(SqlCollection*)
amarok:             END__: ScanManager::ScanManager(SqlCollection*) - Took 6.7e-05s
amarok:             BEGIN: MySqlEmbeddedCollection::MySqlEmbeddedCollection(const QString&, const QString&)
amarok:                [ERROR!] MySQL library initialization failed.
amarok:                [ERROR!] GREPME MySQL query failed!   on  "init"
amarok:             END__: MySqlEmbeddedCollection::MySqlEmbeddedCollection(const QString&, const QString&) - Took 0.0042s

and later, when scanning for files, lots of
amarok:            [ERROR!] Tried to perform escape() on uninitialized MySQL
amarok:            [ERROR!] Tried to perform query on uninitialized MySQL
and the collection in the GUI never gets filled in.

$HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle is empty.

I guess I made an error when packaging mysqld, but I have no idea what
it is. Could you please give me hints to track this down?

Thank you.
 Thomas