ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sun Nov 15 22:27:01 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 19:32 +0100, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> Keep in mind session bus connections are related to the X-session you
> are running.

In that case I am screwed, blued, and tattooed, for what I need is to be
able to control amarok from outside the X session, like I used to be
able to do with DCOP. And it appears I am in fact S,B, & T. If I try it
with just plain "ssh amarok-host-name", I get:

$ qdbus org.mpris.amarok /Player
Could not connect to D-Bus server:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: dbus-launch failed to
autolaunch D-Bus session: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

So there is really no way to control amarok 2 from a command line
outside of the X session it is running in?

--Greg