ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sun Nov 15 18:23:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 16:31 +0100, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
> > I tried this:
> >
> > $ qdbus org.mpris.amarok /Player
> > Service 'org.mpris.amarok' does not exist.
> >
> > Is there something I have to do inside Amarok to make this work?
>
> Having Amarok 2 running should be enough.

[greg at interface ~]$ rpm -q amarok
amarok-2.2.0-2.fc11.i586
[greg at interface ~]$ qdbus org.mpris.amarok /Player
Service 'org.mpris.amarok' does not exist.
[greg at interface ~]$ su
Password:
[root at interface greg]# qdbus org.mpris.amarok /Player
Service 'org.mpris.amarok' does not exist.
[root at interface greg]#

Tried it as root just to be sure. I know it's running because I hear the
music as I type this.

I tried one more thing: I opened a terminal window while on the console
where Amarok is running. Now it works, but that is useless to me because
what I need to be able to do is ssh in and control the player; if I'm on
the console then I can just control Amarok directly. Is there something
I have to do to be able to make this work other than on the X console?

--Greg