Suggestion for Collection Dialog Workflow

tK thomaskolar90 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 12:39:38 UTC 2009

Hi,
I recently ran into a problem building my collection and was
encouraged to send a suggestion for an improvement on the Amarok IRC
channel.

My problem was that I didn't find out how to build my collection in
the first place. Opening the Collection dialog (Settings->Configure
Amarok...->Collection), I selected the folder I wanted to import, but
didn't know how to proceed.
The correct procedure is to press "Apply". In my opinion, this is
inconsistent, as I would usually expect that to set configuration
options and apply the changes, but not to have a "special" effect of
that magnitude. I would have expected a seperate button labeled "Build
collection" or something to that effect. Indeed I tried rescan and
import, which of course didn't work.

So, in short, my suggestion is to add a button - maybe right next to
"Rescan Collection" and "Import Collection" - labelled "Build
Collection" that builds the collection from the files selected.

Regards,
Thomas