Auto-saved playlists (m3u lists)

John Hendrikx hjohn at xs4all.nl
Sun May 17 07:43:12 UTC 2009

I'm wondering if Amarok (or any other player) offers the feature where
playlists are treated as lists of tracks that can be edited without
having to resave the list each time.

There's .m3u files, but when I select one, and edit the list Amarok
presents it does not save the list again to the .m3u file
automatically.  When I'm for example listening to "relaxing" music, and
I find that one of the tracks is not quite what I wanted, I want to
remove it and have Amarok update the list.  The same thing when I'm
expanding the list.

In other words, I'd want playlists to be more dynamic (or atleast easier
to save -- currently all I can find is a "save as" option which forces
me to select the correct list again).  Ideally, when a playlist is
selected, the title of the list is displayed above the list of tracks
somewhere so I know which list I'm editing.

Amarok offers other types of playlists, but no playlists that are simply
directly editable (while they're being played) and auto-saved when changed.

I don't know of any player that offers this feature :/

--John

ps.: I was looking into the "mood" system that Amarok offers -- at first
I actually thought it would be a reflection of the user's mood, and that
I'd be able to select what mood I'm in and I could teach Amarok what
music goes with it (like a "relax" playlist, "rock", "salsa", etc..).
It took me a while to figure out it is actually a system that
graphically represents how a track sounds at certain points to visually
distinguish the different parts of a track :-)