ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon May 11 21:35:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 01:05:57AM +0100, Leonardo Franchi wrote:
> Yes. Amarok 2.x no longer uses DCOP. Along with the rest of KDE, Amarok has
> switched to the DBus interprocess communicaton protocol. Amarok implements the
> MPRIS spec for media players, it can be seen  here:
>
> http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/MPRIS

Big party this weekend and my wife will be very unhappy if I can't
hack up the remote to work. ;)

Can anyone point me to an example client?  I looked over the MRIPS
wiki and then reviewed some of the clients, and specifically the Perl
clients:

    http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Writing_XMMS2_Clients
    http://git.xmms.se/?p=xmms2-tutorial.git;a=tree;f=perl;h=e9ddb47d9de9f7fb324b2e68d9bf1b14dcf14a7e;hb=c0162aad19da6bce3bfdb3b816bab8a7343a06b0

But, I don't really understand if all the xmms2 info applies to
Amarok.  I couldn't get the example clients above to work --  I
was mostly stumbling around in the dark.

Looks like there's a Perl client module available:

    http://search.cpan.org/~flora/Audio-XMMSClient-0.03/

and I'm hoping it's just a matter of configuring it correctly.
Assuming that it's the correct protocol for Amarok.

Again, I already have a remote control and  I have a Perl
script that reads the key presses.  So, all I need is the interface
to control Amarok.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley.