dynamic playlist and last.fm

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Wed May 6 00:36:43 UTC 2009

On Tue May 5 2009 4:45:12 am Kilian Lackhove wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to make the dynamic playlists use last.fm recommendations?
> It seems as it selects songs quite randomly. E.g in one playlist there are
> songs by Oasis, Tool and from Frank Sinatras christmas album.
>
> Am i using dynamic playlists wrong

I'm not an expert on dynamic playlists but I suspect this may be due to a lack
of biases... But I don't know how you're using it so I can't really know.
Essentially, as far as I understand it, the playlist is random within certain
constraints (biases).

Proportional biases are conditions which a certain % of the tracks will meet;
I could make one that was "25 % of songs must match Artist=Metric" and if that
was the only condition I'd end up with random songs, 25% of which were by
Metric.

Fuzzy biases match a condition with a normal distribution (bell curve).

So if I added "Year = 1985" it would play 80s music.

There was a great blog post about it here:
http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/767-Introducing-Fuzzy-Biases.html

Henry de Valence