Mass Tagging

Leonardo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Mon May 4 21:28:45 UTC 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009 22:14:43 Colin Kern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since the GSOC project on mass tagging didn't get in, I've decided to
> take my first step into Amarok development by working on this in my
> free time.  The proposal mentioned using the last.fm fingerprinting to
> do the tagging, which I think is a good idea.  I have some questions
> for the developers about how to go about this.
>
> 1) The last.fm software source has a folder "libFingerprint" which
> seems to contain all the code needed for the fingerprinting.  Could
> this folder just be copied into Amarok's source tree?

Currently Amarok bundles liblastfm in lastfm/lastfm. In 2.1.1 we are going to
switch to externally depending on liblastfm (
http://github.com/mxcl/liblastfm/tree/master ). I have it working in a local
git branch, and will push it when 2.1 is released.

So, you'll be able to use that. It has the fingerprinting support built in (if
the lib is built with it)

> 2) I remember from building the last.fm software previously that the
> fingerprinter has a dependency on the libfftw package (to do the fast
> fourier transforms).  Is this a dependency we want to add to Amarok,
> or is there a way around this?

There is no way around having the fingerpinting require libfftw. Amarok
requiring libfftw is different though---we can talk about this.

> 3) My idea for a first step would be to add a "Fingerprint" option
> into the right-click menu for songs in the playlist or collection (or
> both) to allow for individual tagging.  Does this sound like a good
> idea?

No, this is a bad idea. We actually went through the rmb this weekend in a
group and carefully removed all non-essential options. Cluttering it is not
the way to go. The GUI for this belongs, if anywhere, in the Tag Dialog. It's
just another way of guessing tags after all.

leo

-----
lfranchi at kde.org		Tufts  University 2010
leonardo.franchi at tufts.edu                 The KDE Project