GSoC project proposal: Audio CD support for Amarok

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 11:25:47 UTC 2009

>> Basically I just want to put a CD in the box,
>> tell Amarok to rip it,
>> wait 5 minutes or so (ideally non-blocking), and then have it nicely
>> added to my collection.

The "copy to Collection" system is already non blocking, giving nice
feedback in the statusbar and generally ready to use for this purpose.
It also has the added benefit of allowing you to rip, not only to your
local collection, but directly to any writable collection, such as a
portable media player, an mp3tunes account or whatever we decide to
add in the future.

So really, we will never even use the term "ripping" ( at least not
user visible ). What the user is doing is simply copying data from one
collection to another. The technical details of what goes on
underneath the hood really should be none of the users concern ( with
the slight exception that the source config dialog requested by the
LocationCollection framework will of course include a question about
encoding format )

So I see this as being very user friendly. The only issue that I
really see with regards to usability is that the "copy to collection"
feature is not super visible, so it might make sense to advertise that
a bit in the first run tutorial once we get that thing up and running.

- Nikolaj

Ps. Andreas, I just want to make sure that you are actually subscribed
to the Amarok mailing list, or you will miss out on all the replies to
your project proposal.