Album Year vs. Track Year

Stuart Neill stuart.neill at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 27 20:42:08 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 Mar 2009 19:11:29 Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Stuart Neill
>
> <stuart.neill at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > This together with places in the Amarok 2 user interface where the
> > developer has clearly made the assumption that individual tracks will not
> > vary in date across an album led to a late-night knee jerk reaction. I
> > trust one of Amaroks whizz-bang developers will bring Amarok 2 up to the
> > standard of Amarok 1 in this regard in the fullness of time. Sorry for
> > the noise.
>
> Not if we only get such nebulous claims of misfunctionality, lol.

Well Ian, I did not particularly want to get into this while the Amarok 2
interface is in a state of flux, but as you are pushing, let me see if I can
make some things a little less nebulous.

If I take a Various Artists album (which has differing date tags for each
track) and load it into the Playlist and then play it:

What I see at the top of the Playlist is the Artist of the first track. This
does not vary as other tracks are played indicating to me that little regard
of Various Artist albums in general was taken when this was coded.

Very little information on dates is in fact shown. The track info widget has
nothing. The only date related information appears in the Albums widget. This
is picked up from the first track on the Album showing that the developer
clearly made the assumption that individual tracks will not vary in date
across an album.

As for the Collection Panel, well the selection works (and yes I should have
realised that this contradicts my original post). However any date information
presented is again taken from the first track on the album. There is
specifically no "group by year". Indeed the Amarok 2 interface seems to have
downgraded the importance of date information altogether when compared with
Amarok 1.

--
Stuart Neill