gSoC Implement a better database schema

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Mar 26 15:51:43 UTC 2009

'Twas brillig, and Caleb Cushing at 26/03/09 12:06 did gyre and gimble:
> to be honest I think my suggestion is a lost cause, and yet it's
> caused me to think of something else I was thinking about.
>
> akonadi is meant to be an implementation agnostic data store, is it
> not? I'm not sure how it works (api or anything) but it might we
> worthwhile to migrate to, kinda like amarok 2 migrated to phonon
> instead of doing it's own sound engine management. This would actually
> also solve the fPIC issue because akonadi doesn't do it that way...
> I've also heard there supposed to be a project to support postgres in
> akonadi. perhaps this would be a more worthwhile project.

Big, big, massive +1 from me!

I actually mailed Nikolaj ages ago about this when I asked if the basing
the Services Framework on Akonadi would be sensible etc., but it never
went anywhere... I wasn't really asking in terms of a "I want to
implement this" but I was asking as I was looking seriously at using
Akonadi in Digikam to integrate with external photo systems (Facebook,
Flickr etc.). All of these services have "export" tools just now but I
wanted to rebase things on Akonadi. I've still got some stub code for
moving forward with this but it's not yet there.

I personally believe that storing the Amarok data in Akonadi would be a
massive step in the right direction in terms of allowing any KDE app to
access the library seamlessly - just like how OSX apps can access the
iTunes library - but it would be very hard work to move all the stuff
across.

But in terms of sensible design, I've very much in favour of the Akonadi
structure. I actually asked about whether Akonadi could be used when the
Akondi folks did their presentation at Akademy 2007 in Glasgow, so I've
been keen to see this for a long time.

Good luck I hope it goes through :)

Col

--