GSoC Proposal First Draft: Media Device Feature Completion in Amarok 2

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:38:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> While the proposal itself sounds fine to me, I personally find it a
> higher priority to make progress with media devices support for the
> Windows and OSX versions. They are lagging far behind the Linux
> version in this regard.
>
> Alejandro has explained to me on IRC that this would require working
> on Solid (a different KDE project), rather than Amarok. For OSX there
> is already a Solid backend being created by QtSoftware, but for
> Windows this is still missing, as far as I know.
>
> At any rate, I'm concerned about our alternative platforms lagging
> behind the Linux version, and I think we should make it a priority to
> reach feature parity with them. So I would personally prefer to see
> Alejandro working on that, rather than what he is currently proposing.

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time the media devices
do need more error handling and an easier UI no matter what platform
they are eventually ported to.

It's also not a zerosum game... perhaps someone will propose a Solid
on Windows project. They wouldn't have emailed us if they had. Though
Amarok isn't being assigned slots this year, we will probably get some
less officially, and Solid on Windows wouldn't take one of them.

Getting Amarok to support devices without Solid present is something
Alejandro might think about, perhaps this is a higher priority then
UMS.

Ian