Google Summer of Code: Playlist and Collection Synchronization

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 13:28:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Rashad <tatum.rashad at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > /me is not familiar with the school system in the US, could you
>> > elaborate? How much time will you be able to spend on this project
>> > exclusively per week?
>>
>> Yike, 11 credit hours is a full load for the summer. I think my
>> university doesn't allow more then 9 over the summer. So either your
>> summer semester lasts longer (ours was only 6 weeks), or you take
>> classes 8-5. Either way thats pretty much no good for GSoC. At least
>> with Amarok, we expect students to be devoted to GSoC an average of 40
>> hours/week for the duration.
>>
>> GSoC is something you do instead of summer classes. So yea, Australia
>> is pretty much screwed, but thats Google's fault not ours. :)
>>
>> Ian
>>

> I am currently considering only taking two courses for a total of 6-7 credit
> hours.  (Between, my summer semester lasts about 10 weeks.)  I will probably
> know for sure by Monday.  The following is a link to my school's calendar for
> the summer semester:
> http://www.spsu.edu/registrar/Summer%2009%20Detailed%20Calendar.pdf
>
> Let me know what you think.  If 11 or 9 hours are too much, then I will
> consider only taking two courses.  I will also ask for advice from one of my
> professors.

Well this is one of the situations where its pretty obvious that GSoC
selection occurs too late in the school year. It would've been nice if
this was all decided back in Feb so that you could know what to do. (I
think the deal is that GSoC doesn't get funded until January).

For me more then one class would be too much to do in conjunction with GSoC.

Ian