GoSoC 2009 UPnP Proposal -draft 2

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 04:58:49 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> Since you are mentioning DLNA it's best to use their terminalogy for
> the device classes:
> Digital Media Server (DLNA-DMS): Holds the content (or a least the
> urls of the content) that can be browsed or searched for.
>
> Digital Media Render (DLNA-DMR): the playback device that can be
> controlled via UPnP
>
> Digital Media Controller (DLNA-DMC). Which is a device that can browse
> media on a DMR and play them back on a DMR.
>
> One other class that should be mentioned is the Digital Media Player.
> This playback device includes DMS browsing functionality but is not
> controllable over the network. The most basic implementation described
> in this proposal would make Amarok a DLNA-DMP.

Thanks for these definitions Bart! I find this stuff kind of confusing.

> I wouldn't exclude DMR controlling so fast though. It will probably be
> simpler to implement then the DMS part and this use case is becoming
> more and more prevalent (because of WMP 11 in vista and windows 7).
> More and more networked devices are implementing DMR. It's an
> excellent to liberate the music from the PC while still remaining full
> control through a rich and familiar interface. And believe me, we can
> do a lot better then the Windows 7 implementation!

Amarok being a DMC would be nice and I imagine not much work on top of
being a DLNA-DMP. Perhaps it is more important then DLNA-DMS (since
people can always run a DLNA-DMS seperate from Amarok anyways).

DMP is undoubtedly the most important, I guess what to do after that
is probably a decision to be figured out later since it would depend
on which is easier to implement.

Ian