Amarok2 Wish list

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Fri Mar 13 17:24:03 UTC 2009

Hi

I tried compiling Amarok 2.0.2, but was unsuccessful after several attempts.
I then opted to use the svn version - success!  :)

I finally can see the fruit of your labors of the past year.
(finally got around to adding kde 4.2)

The new interface takes a little getting used to, but its really nice.
I like the flow and design a lot.

These were mostly observations and some wish list bits:

Stars:
    - No easy way to set stars from right click, only the song playing
can set stars.
    - To set I had to edit track info, 3 or 4 clicks to set stars on 1
song
    - The stars are too sensitive - often set 4.5 stars when clicking
the center of the star (which is common behavior)
    - The older method of defaulting to whole numbers for first click,
then 1/2 star for 2nd click of star worked fine.
          I rarely clicked 1/2 stars
    - Can they be viewable in the list box items

Layout:
    - Can columns be repositioned (swap position layout)
    - Possible horizontal split for artist and song list columns

Song Listbox:
    - Drag n drop to k3b, worked in 1.4.
          Not sure if its Amarok, KDE 4.x, or K3B.
    - Can this be enabled to copy the track info in the clipboard

Collection Scanning:
    - Might be better to disable auto album retrieval during initial
collection
       or have that as a second stage collection
          30,000 songs took 6hrs+ to collect  (I didn't realize it had
the auto album art enabled)
    - Update percentage bar more frequently, or status like songs
processed, so it doesn't appear hung

Dynamic Playlist:
    - How to ignore dirs from being selected
    - How to display more previously played in list box
    - Is there a widget of recently played (this might be better) or a
history for the playlist

Mysql embedded:
    - Can we access this data, how is stored. Just curious, learning
about it.
    - How do you tell its active, or Amarok detects it
    - I recompiled mysql 5.0.67 for the embedded feature, seems to work ok
             Is 5.1.32 better?  I compiled that as well, but wasn't sure
if it would break the distro binaries.
             Will it require Amarok to be recompiled for 5.1.32?

PlayButtons:
    - Work excellent now!  Much improved.  Stop means stop now, not wait
til resources are ready, if at all.
    - Can the play buttons be adjustable to bottom

Thanks for such a great music player.
I liked 1.4 a lot when I started using it.
I didn't you can improve it that much more, but you have. :)

Regards
Rich