GSoC proposal draft: Spatial collection with fuzzy queries

Teo Mrnjavac teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 18:33:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/1/09, Teo Mrnjavac <teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please take the time to read the first draft of my GSoC proposal for a
>> spatial collection with fuzzy queries and give me some feedback.
>
> This is an awesome idea.  I already started playing around with using
> the acoustic fingerprinting data to create a self-organizing map of my
> collection, and creating an appropriate Plasma applet for Amarok's
> context view was going to be my next project after the APG gets
> finished.  I can't formally mentor a GSoC student (I don't feel like I
> have enough history with the project, and I may be too busy during the
> summer anyway), but if you need math/algorithmic advice, I'd be happy
> to help.

Thanks. Actually I was planning to use PCA to let the acoustic
features position the tracks rather than a SOM which I don't know that
much about but I guess either way would be fine as a start given the
experimental nature of the project. The part I'm less acquainted with
is the acquisition of the needed acoustic features to feed to the PCA,
but I know that it's definitely doable as it has already been done in
a closed-source Java research project, so that's the part I would most
need help with.
Cheers
Teo