Q: dynamic playlist of unrated songs

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Jun 30 03:16:36 UTC 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 4:06 PM, Orville Bennett <illogical1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Also, just to give a scenario when 0 stars would be useful. I, more
>> often than
>> not, get music by the album, and I hate having incomplete albums in
>> my
>> collection (no idea why, just really annoys me =P). So every once
>> in a while I
>> get an awesome album with a track I absolutely hate. I dont want to
>> remove it
>> from my collection because its part of the album, but I would rate
>> it 0,
>> rather than 1 which suggests I actually like something about it =P.
> Or you could just rate it 1/2 instead. The ability to humiliate the
> track by giving it no rating (while utterly satisfying) isn't very
> useful from a practical standpoint.
> If you want to see the horriblest music you have in your collection
> you
> can (currently) choose to give it no rating or 1/2.
> If you choose no rating, you then need to distinguish between "it's
> not
> rated yet" and "it's truly horrible".
> If you choose 1/2, then it's a simple proposition to distinguish
> between
> the two.

I tend to agree, partly because from a practical standpoint 1/2 a star
is already pretty clear that it's an awful track, but moreso because
having an intuitive way to toggle between unrated and zero stars is
hard, without having to rely on a right-click menu (sucks) or a tri-
state (not intuitive).

--Jeff