Q: dynamic playlist of unrated songs

Ralf Jung ralfjung-e at gmx.de
Mon Jun 29 13:22:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

> > Right; that's exactly what I did, with the results I described :-(
> >
> > Selecting with equal probability from two disjoint sets is not (in
> > general)
> > at all the same as selecting randomly from the union of those sets (an
> > operation which was trivial in 1.4, and which is what I'm trying to
> > do).
>
> Ah, I see now. Unfortunately, due to the design of the system (non-
> optimal, I would say), the way multiple Biases are stacked together
> doesn't allow us to select over the union of the matching tracks.
> Rather, each bias is computed independently.
This well fits with the feature request of bringing back "smart playlists".
Unlike the dynamic playlists, these are created according to some criteria
when dragging them to the playlist editor and then they are static. I would
really like to see them back, to do things like getting a list of unrated
songs. It would also fit here: The dynamic playlist editor could get (if it
does not already have that) a way to choose the set of songs it chooses from,
and that set could be a smart playlist containing all songs which are unrated
or have a rating of 5.

Kind regards,
Ralf Jung