Q: dynamic playlist of unrated songs

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Mon Jun 29 03:47:20 UTC 2009

2009/6/29 Ian Monroe <ian.monroe at gmail.com>:
> 2009/6/28 Ben K <mrmrpotatohead at gmail.com>:
>> Actually the last time I looked at the source, an unrated song IS the same
>> as a zero rating. The DB stores unrated songs' rating as zero, but it should
>> probably be null. If people are happy for this to change I'll see if I can
>> write a patch tonight.
>>

> In SQL null isn't the same as no information, its more like an error
> condition. 0 is much better for unrated.

This is totally untrue. The NULL value is by no means an error
condition. It can make perfect logical sense to have a value which is
NULL, as opposed to be 'undefined', for example which could be a non
existent row.

Both cases of either NULL and 0 as unrated have their merits. In our
case it is our past that has dictated that 0 is unrated, and as far as
i know there is no technical reason for it. If anything have 0 as the
unrated value is actually more limiting than NULL as unrated (since we
have one less value to use).

> Ian

Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/