Why is lastfm a required dependency?

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Mon Jun 22 21:22:09 UTC 2009

Hello,

On 2009 m. June 22 d., Monday 23:51:03 Leo Franchi wrote:

> Your replies in the email were against the argument for/against
> liblastfm being a required dependency, but that is not what I was
> responding to. I was replying to your complaint that amarok "attracts
> many exotic required dependencies"---just to explain how I don't think
> liblastfm is very exotic at all (it just is right right now because
> we're early).

MySQLe - still exotic, but I can understand why it is required (at least at
the moment). ok.
QtScriptGenerator - exotic (and really PITA), but I still understand why it is
required (and no, it being embedded in Amarok source wasn't any better).
Last.fm - exotic and I do not understand why it is required. Even when
official last.fm player uses it, it will still be exotic.

The more amarok is easy to build, the more users will test it. Even if a
distro shipped Amarok beta without last.fm, why would you be angry about it?
Do you want testers or not? Or do you want to push last.fm? Sorry for being
rude, but it was not the first time I heard that packagers argument and I was
ignored numerous times. At least somebody is trying to discuss now.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>