Why is lastfm a required dependency?

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Mon Jun 22 20:47:22 UTC 2009

Hello,

On 2009 m. June 22 d., Monday 23:19:37 Leo Franchi wrote:

> How can it have an unstable API/ABI if there is only 1 release of the
> library?

I won't elabote since I don't know the details. I'm just relaying what I
heard.

> We are using liblastfm as a dependency because:
>
> a) Building libraries internally is stupid and just leads to bloat

That's fine.

> b) Sharing code amongst different system processes is a *good thing*.

Yes.

> The next release of the official last.fm player will also be using
> liblastfm, as will playdar. So this is not a dependency that only
> Amarok will have. This is rather the official c++/qt last.fm wrapper.
> We just happen to be the first to publicly depend on it.

You misunderstand me. I have always been in favour of Amarok dropping that
private liblastfm copy. But you are forgetting Amarok is NOT official last.fm
player. And last.fm functionality CAN be disabled from Amarok interface. So
why is this library required? Technical difficulties making it optional?

> Also, please note that this dependency is for 2.2, which is still
> quite a far ways down the road. So although we are the first to
> publicly depend on it right now, there are still some months to go
> before any released version will.

I would rather test Amarok 2.2 without last.fm than wait for something I don't
really need. As a packager, I would never ship Amarok without optional
dependency if it could be enabled. If you are afraid somebody is going to
disable lastfm due to religious reasons, I don't think making the library
required will stop them.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>