Why is lastfm a required dependency?

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Mon Jun 22 20:11:58 UTC 2009

Hello,

On 2009 m. June 22 d., Monday 20:46:56 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> I can't find any discussion about making lastfm a required dep and it
> seems amarok itself builds just fine without it (and is also usable for
> me without it). Before I go around hunting the library and install it
> here (as Debian doesn't seem to ship it) I'd like to know the reasoning
> for making it a hard requirement.

That library seems to have unstable API/ABI and Debian maintainer is having a
hard time trying to package it right. Some time ago I asked Amarok devs the
same question as you, and I got an answer like "we want amarok to be the same
everywhere" or something among those lines. I still disagree with this POV in
general but I seem to be in minority here. Amarok seems to attract many exotic
required (which in last.fm case is clearly exaggerated) dependencies like no
other app but nobody sees that as a problem.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>