collection watching craziness

Gregory Meyer greg at gkmeyer.com
Sun Jun 14 15:49:51 UTC 2009

A little background first.  All of my music files are on a logical
volume that I have mount at /mnt/lv1/music with /mnt/music linked to
that location.  I have Amarok set up so that the collection is in
/mnt/music.  Then, In order to load up an ipod I need for a special
project, I am using iTunes inside a Virtualbox vm running XP Pro.  Now
you guys know I primarily use ogg vorbis, which the ipod cannot play,
so I have enabled support for the codec in itunes using the xiph
plugin, then I am having iTunes copy the oggs into it's collection,
and then using the convert feature in iTunes to transcode to mp3.
After the mp3s are created, I delete the oggs from the iTunes library.
 At the end of the process, I should have my original ogg's in
/mnt/music, while the iTunes library of mp3s is in ~/Music/iTunes.

So here's the problem.  After the conversion process, my Amarok
collection no longer contains the ogg files in /mnt/music, but the mp3
files I just created in ~/Music/iTunes.  The files exist in the proper
location on disk, so nothing is being destroyed , and if I rescan the
collection, everything resets correctly, but I don't think that should
happen.

Before you ask, I do not have ~/Music set to be watched by Amarok.
and even if I did, why are my ogg's being deleted from the database.

I will report a bug, but I wanted to make sure this isn't a feature first.

--
oggie