db volume scaling

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Jun 11 01:54:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 01:56:02 +0200, Tim Blechmann <tim at klingt.org> wrote:
>>> as far as the mapping is concerned, i guess i wrote enough about the
>>> dynamic range of the human ear. with the power-law based mapping, one
>>> can do a good fine-tuning for high volumes, but not for low volumes,
>>> while with the logarithmic mapping, the volume resolution is equally
>>> well from low to high volumes ...
>>
>> Which seems like something we want, right? :-)
>
> great, that we finally agree on this

Hrm, never realized we disagreed on this.  In fact, I've been pushing you
to do it, just keeping the percent scale in the UI/API  :-)

>> That's too bad.  I was really looking forward to your remapping patch.
>
> the patch series is available from my git repository [4]

Is it the same patch that you posted here?  Because if so, it can't be used
as-is.  But I would encourage you to fix it up so that it can be used, by
keeping the percent scale but making the volumes actually seem to match the
percentages shown, relative to 0% and 100%.

--Jeff