db volume scaling

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Jun 10 23:29:17 UTC 2009

Tim Blechmann wrote:
> i have been writing all over again, that mapping and units are two
> separate issues:
> - log vs power law (i.e. linear loudness perception)
> - dB vs percent
>
> of course it is easy to map the range -60dB to 0dB to the scale 0% to
> 100%, but according to your mail [1] you and the majority of the amarok
> users dislike logarithmic mappings.

See the mail I just sent.  I don't dislike logarithmic mappings, and I
have no idea what various users prefer.  What I dislike are showing dB
values in the software, because you can't guarantee that that is
actually the loudness level that the user is hearing (explained in more
detail in the mail I just sent).

> as far as the mapping is concerned, i guess i wrote enough about the
> dynamic range of the human ear. with the power-law based mapping, one
> can do a good fine-tuning for high volumes, but not for low volumes,
> while with the logarithmic mapping, the volume resolution is equally
> well from low to high volumes ...

Which seems like something we want, right? :-)

> personally, i don't really want to use a software, which treats me like
> a stupid idiot. i can install windows, if i want to have that experience

Any software that doesn't use a dB scale treats you like an idiot?  So
any user that either doesn't understand -- or want -- a dB scale is an
idiot?

> ... so i am using aqualung again ...

That's too bad.  I was really looking forward to your remapping patch.

--Jeff