db volume scaling

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Jun 10 23:17:42 UTC 2009

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>> If they implement the scaling patch (so Tim gets the dB scaling he
>> wants) but leaves the UI with % marks for a normal user, everyone will
>> be just fine, since those who understand logarithmic scales will be
>> able to do the math for a %-dB conversion on the scale Tim has
>> suggested.  Especially since Tim has already outlined how he did it.
>
> well, several people argued _not_ to change the mapping:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.amarok.devel/14535
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.amarok.devel/14556

Actually, I did not argue not to change the mapping.

I should clarify that when I said I don't like logarithmic sliders, I
meant ones that show dB values, not ones that behave logarithmically.  I
understand the point of them on hifi amplifiers where a particular
loudness value can be guaranteed, but not on computers where multiple
sliders (not just in Amarok, but various ALSA mixer values, for
instance) can be affecting the volume.  I don't see how you can always
guarantee an absolute value on a normal box with a random built-in sound
card -- this is why I've been saying that the decibel values you would
show would be relative, not absolute.

That's (one of the reasons) why I've suggested changing the mapping, but
not the percentage scale.

--Jeff