db volume scaling

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Jun 9 13:18:51 UTC 2009

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>> Hmmmm I might be totally not getting this whole db thing but how is
>> our current system not intuitive and how is this more intuitive?

> but to the current system: what does it mean, if you increase the volume
> from 20% to 40% to 60%? i must admit, i have no idea.

It means that the volume of the audio stream Amarok is pushing through
the sound system scales from 20% of its maximum level to 40% of its
maximum level to 60% of its maximum level.  Not sure why this is
difficult to figure out.

> of course, i can
> check the phonon sources, but the value itself doesn't tell me
> _anything_ about the actual amplitudes.

Neither does the dB scale.  It tells you what the amplitudes are
relative to each other, but it doesn't tell you what the actual
amplitude is when the slider is at 0dB.

> the db scale is well defined and
> reducing the volume by 10dB in one program sounds the same as in
> another program or on the amplifier of your speakers.

So does reducing the volume by 10%.  Phonon has a volume value.  Setting
it has the same effect regardless of what program is setting it.

--Jeff