[Feedback] What did you do with Amarok?

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Jul 30 12:20:20 UTC 2009

Nicolas Will wrote:
> The only point I wanted to raise was around the communication, and maybe
> the disconnect with the distributions, as well as the transition fro 1.4
> to 2.x.

Most distributions got it. And I'm not sure how we could have improved
communication.

> As someone pointed out, Linux os not that place filled with geeks
> anymore, it has many users who just expect the thing to work and provide
> a service. 2.x came at them rather brutally.

2.0 and 2.1 came to them exactly as communicated. Again, we don't
control the distros.

> 1.4 was great for the users, 2.x is already great for the developers, so
> it will be amazing again real soon now for the users.

Lots of users think 2.1 is pretty great, despite the loud voices that
complain (remember, most people won't say anything at all if they don't
have complaints).

> Thanks for your work, keep it up, but sometimes try to put yourselves in
> the shoes of those plain users, they do not necessaryly see the world as
> you do.

I don't want to guess what you're insinuating at since I probably
wouldn't like it. I really hate that statement "try to put yourselves in
the shoes of plain users", which suggests that the bending over
backwards that we do to communicate with users (like on this long
thread), to add features that "plain" users have asked for and want and
enjoy, and so on is all == NULL. The reputation and track record we got
of listening to and being responsive to our users was not from lack of
empathy. It'd be nice if you'd wake up and see that instead of throwing
out this baseless claim.

--Jeff