[Feedback] What did you do with Amarok?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 29 08:57:28 UTC 2009

'Twas brillig, and Alejandro Wainzinger at 29/07/09 07:56 did gyre and
gimble:
> That's funny, I'm pretty sure we were _quite clear_ as to what 2.0
> would be and what it wouldn't be, but I suppose blogging and release
> announcements aren't clear enough for users, we need to put a pop up
> that says "If you are looking for a finished product, please go
> elsewhere, this is in heavy development," but that just looks tacky,
> doesn't it?

I think this is party a product of a changing eco-system in the linux world.

In the old days, users were hackers, developers or at least interested
participants in the development and evolution of <insert chosen app
here>. Now-a-days things seems to be more detached. Sure there are a
core bunch of people who still behave like this and know what to expect,
but others (probably the people that will never know *what* a mailing
list is, let alone how to post on one - the comments system on the
website being probably their only portal!) will not really be expecting
this kind of development.

So should the development cycle adapt because of this shift in
expectations? IMO, no. This is a project developed for the love and
passion of music. Working on exciting new things is much more likely to
keep the passion alive than plodding on with boring old releases. That
said, perhaps expectations can be managed better? With hindsight it's
easy to suggest such things, but perhaps the first version shouldn't
have been 2.0, perhaps a 1.99.x series should have been the main
developer version for a lot longer and distros should have been
encouraged to not ship it as the default version. In Mandriva we did
ship 2.0 but also provided the 1.x series. This meant we covered the
bases as best we could and still please the bleeding edge addicts.

In the end, whenever you call some version x.0 people want it, whether
they appreciate the actual *need* or *consequences* of having it.

So in the end, I don't think anything should have changed in the
development timeline, perhaps just slightly better expectation
management, probably involving different version numbers.

Of course this is a finely balanced equation - without getting things
out there early, often and as previews etc, it's hard to drum up the
excitement and motivation for the developers.

Every now and then a step change comes along. In this case it was KDE4
and that prompted a bug change in Amarok too. When this happens (and it
doesn't happen often) there will be fallout. I expect this, I've seen it
before, but others don't. In these scenarios users should be encouraged
to stick with the distros they have and not to upgrade without fully
appreciating the consequences. But developers need distros too, so the
distros have to move on to satisfy that community.

In a way it's just like Windows... if you are happily using XP, why
upgrade to Vista... it's not ready yet and buggy, so wait. Perhaps
you'll take the plunge when Windows 7 comes along? Same goes here for
linux distros.... the problem is making people realise that the latest
isn't always the greatest for them.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie