[Feedback] What did you do with Amarok?

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:11:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Gary
Steinert<gary.steinert.ml at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 27 July 2009 01:25:06 mail at enricojoerns.de wrote:
>> Enrico Jörns sent a message using the contact form at
>> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>>
>> I just want to point out very quickly how dissapointed I am after having
>> used the 2nd generation of Amarok.
>> How could you remove all the very good things that made Amarok to my
>> veryvery favourite music player?
>>
>> I was nearly shocked how bad 2.1 is!
>>
>> No possibilty to delete files out of playlist
> This has been part of the playlist since 2.0 was released IIRC. Either right
> click -> Remove from Playlist or use the icon at the bottom of the playlist.

He means delete files.

>> No possibility to hide the contex window (heard fixed now!?)
>> No playlist shuffle option (or too much hided?)
> Shuffle and repeat are under the Playlist menu. We're working on getting it into
> the main window, but the playlist will need a bit of a rethink before we will
> be able to manage it without cluttering the screen too much.

Amarok 2.1 doesn't have a shuffle feature, though 2.2 will.

>> No more possibility to easy rename id3 in playlist for multiple songs..
> This is working at least in trunk. Never had call to test it before now so I
> don't know what its like in 2.1

Well its certainly not as easy as in Amarok 1.4.

>> Hardly any configuration for everything
> Like what exactly? Because our audio is handled by phonon, a lot of the audio
> settings have moved to the global KDE settings.

And Amarok 2.2's whole layout will be configurable. :)

>> ...and many more of those little nice things that brought Amarok 1.4 along!
> We have lost a few features, but we haven't taken anything out of Amarok
> without careful consideration. There are features that we haven't been able to
> implement yet due to other restrictions. Like the graphic equaliser which,
> until recently was not supported by phonon.
>
> But if you take a look at 2.1, you'll find a great deal of new and interesting
> features, such as a big increase in the number of internet services that you
> can access right from within Amarok. And a new, more powerful scripting
> interface that will allow a whole new array of scripts to be written.
>

>> So, sorry, but as long as I can, I will try to youse the old Amarok, hope
>> it will run in 4.0 too...
>>
>> Please bring back life to Amarok! There are so many people who wish that!
> Amarok is very much alive =) It's just evolved.

I agree. :) Amarok 2.1 already has everything I need, outside of some
regressions with the dynamic playlist which I'm working on now.

Ian