Amarok is now on Git

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Mon Jul 20 15:20:47 UTC 2009

Bernhard Auzinger wrote:
> not that it's important but it would be interesting for me why you guys chose
> git over SVN?
>
> Rgds
> Bernhard

Bernhard,

We try to keep trunk usable; however, sometimes we're working on
features that until they're completed will massively break things. In
this case, we like to work on these features in branches, so that we can
keep committing and having our work stored in a public repository
without breaking trunk.

Branches in SVN are not so useful because they require switching around
your build to use different directories, whereas branches in Git replace
the current working tree with the branch, making them far more easy to
work with.

We've actually been using git-svn branches for a while now, which are
far better than SVN branches, but these have a large number of
drawbacks. Therefore, we volunteered to be the team testing out the Git
waters as the forerunners of a larger KDE Git migration.

--Jeff